Sunday, March 9, 2008

TV on DVD

I love TV on DVD. It's the perfect opportunity to get into shows I haven't watched. I'm the type of guy that really doesn't like to come into a TV show in the middle...I don't know the characters or the storyline, and being lost just doesn't add to my enjoyment. That may be why I couldn't get into Jericho...I saw an episode in the middle of the first season, I was lost, I never watched another one. I had a friend that swore it was the greatest thing on TV, but I just couldn't get it.

A couple of TV shows I've been catching up on with DVDs are The Office and Lost. I started both at the beginning of their DVDs, and really got into them that way. Lost is a colossal mind bender, with all kinds of mysteries. I've really enjoyed the way they use flashbacks to build a character's story, and I think it's a really great ensemble show. I've caught up through season three, and now I need to watch the episodes that are on the internet for season four.

I've also really gotten into The Office. It's absolutely hilarious. The characters are very well conceived, and despite their faults, you can't help but root for them, particularly Michael Scott and Dwight Schrute (played by Steve Carell and Rainn Wilson). I'm seven episodes into the third season of that one.

I tried to get into 30 Rock. I got about halfway through the second episode before turning it off. I've heard it got much better later in the first season, and maybe I'll try it again some other time. Tracy McGrady just really annoys me. Another one I tried was Curb Your Enthusiasm, which I only watched one episode of. Larry David was just irritating me too much.

Heroes is a show I have on hold at the library, so I may be getting into that one soon.

I had the good fortune to start watching 24 when it premiered. I watched the first episode, then the second half of the fourth, and I've only missed one episode since (somewhere in Season Four). It is my favorite show, despite the sixth season being terrible.

So, to recap:
GOOD: 24, Lost, The Office
NOT AS GOOD: 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm
TO COME: Heroes

No comments: