Friday, April 18, 2008

TMBG vs. WAY

For our new musical selections, may I present two of my favorites - They Might Be Giants and Weird Al Yankovic. First off, let me say that I'm limited in my choices as to what is legally accessible online. Some of these songs aren't necessarily my favorites, but I still like 'em enough to put them here.

From They Might Be Giants:
  • Doctor Worm - Of course.
  • Man, It's So Loud In Here - A techno offering.
  • Older - A realistic look at aging.
  • Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - This was the first TMBG song I heard, on an episode of Tiny Toons.
  • Boss Of Me - The theme song to Malcolm In The Middle.
  • Particle Man - The second TMBG song I heard, on the same episode of Tiny Toons.
  • Spy - A TMBG espionage song.
  • Dead - Philosophical, yes. Strange, yes. TMBG, absolutely.
  • Alphabet of Nations - I never knew West Xylophone existed, but they even have a web site.
  • The Mesopotamians - From TMBG's latest album.
  • Whistling In The Dark - Fun, bouncy, strange.
  • Birdhouse In Your Soul - If you ever wondered what went on in the mind of a night light.

From Weird Al Yankovic:

  • Smells Like Nirvana - Al's parody of Nirvana.
  • Pancreas - A tribute to Brian Wilson and an underappreciated organ.
  • Trigger Happy - A style parody of the Beach Boys.
  • White and Nerdy - A parody of Chamillionaire, and Al's most recent hit.
  • Spatula City - And now, a word from our sponsors, courtesy of UHF.
  • Alternative Polka - A polka medley of alternative music from the mid-90s.
  • EBay - The Backstreet Boys meet Weird Al. Check out the vibrato at the end.
  • You're Pitiful - James Blunt's record label wouldn't give Al permission to release this on an album, though Blunt did. Al subsequently released it for free on the internet.
  • Dare To Be Stupid - A style parody of Devo.
  • It's All About The Pentiums - Al takes on Puff Daddy.
  • One More Minute - Doo-wop.
  • Don't Download This Song - Al's tribute to tribute songs.

Previous playlists can be found on the posts for January 28 and February 28, 2008. I guess I broke tradition by posting this one on the 18th, huh.

No comments: