Saturday, February 23, 2008

Oscar Predictions

Let me take a quick break from Captain Obvious to throw out my Oscar predictions for tomorrow night. There's no real surprises here, the only one the experts seem to disagree on is Supporting Actress. I'm also just going to predict categories I know something about.

BEST PICTURE - No Country For Old Men. This is the only one of the five I've seen, and it's great. I do want to see the other nominees (except Atonement), but No Country has all the momentum, and I think it's a lock.

BEST DIRECTOR - Joel and Ethan Coen. They deserved it for Fargo in 1996, and now they'll get a well earned Oscar.

BEST ACTOR - Daniel Day-Lewis. From everything I've heard, his performance in There Will Be Blood is nothing short of perfect.

BEST ACTRESS - Julie Christie. This category is pretty stacked, and it is possible that Ellen Page will win for Juno, or Marion Cotillard for La Vie en Rose, but most of the buzz seems to be around Christie.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - Javier Bardem. If there was a performance talked about as much as Daniel Day-Lewis' this year, it was Javier Bardem's evil evil EVIL Anton Chigurh in No Country For Old Men. There's no competition.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - I'm going with Cate Blanchett for I'm Not There. The only one not really getting any talk in this category is Saoirse Ronan for Atonement, so this one is anyone's guess. Ruby Dee, Amy Ryan, and Tilda Swinton all have their supporters, but I'm going with Blanchett.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY - Juno. It's a critical darling, it'll win.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY - No Country For Old Men. I've been reading the book lately, and it's astounding how well it was adapted.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE - Ratatouille. I haven't seen Persopolis, but I've heard grumblings that it was up for best foreign film. I've also heard grumblings that Ratatouille wasn't up for best picture, and that's the one I'm picking.

BEST MAKEUP - I don't have a prediction here, but I would like to express my outrage that Norbit got nominated. I don't care how convincing the makeup was, you can't tell me that there wasn't a more deserving good movie.

And by the way, congratulations to Norbit, I Know Who Killed Me, and Daddy Day Camp on their well deserved Razzies this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, I've been meaning to ask about the Razzies. Do we have to see them because they are so bad?